Several rural communities reside in extremely remote off-grid locations where grid extension doesn’t appear to be a reliable long term solution.
Access to some of these regions is challenging and in some cases these are seasonally cut off
People are denied regular basic lighting and cannot undertake productive activities that require electricity.
Productive applications can be enabled through these micro-grids
- Installation and maintenance of only one central system is needed.
- Stage-wise expansion is possible; Adjustments with respect to changing village requirements can be made.
- Microgrids support hybrid solutions that can ensure year long uninterrupted supply. Hybrid systems also reduce battery requirements.
- Reduced utilization of kerosene and firewood improves air quality and decreases carbon emissions.
- Lighting also helps improve indoor and outdoor safety.
- Productive applications like flour mills, pumps, and fridges enable income generation.
- Community engagement creates a vested interest amidst the beneficiaries to maintain the system.
- Metering and tariffs enable self-sufficiency and support long term sustainability.
- Village Energy Committee supports community empowerment – figure out cause and effect.
- 24*7 lighting across households improves living conditions.
- Children have more time to study and women have more time for household and productive activities.